Thursday, November 12, 2015

Ricky's Birth Story


I remember driving home from the store with Stella one afternoon. My phone rang and it was a number that I was unfamiliar with. It was the surgical coordinator wanting to schedule my cesarean section. It also happened to be May 28th, the same date that I found out we were expecting Mabel. Just a coincidence? I like to think of it as a sign from her helping me get through that shitty day and helping me get one step closer to meeting our little miracle. From that day on we were scheduled to meet him on August 3rd at 5:30 p.m; unless he chose to make an early arrival.

August 3rd came. It was a Monday. I woke up early that morning- nerves obviously. It still felt so surreal that in just hours we would be driving to the hospital that evening to deliver our baby boy. Yes I was excited to meet him but I was also extremely anxious to leave Stella. I had never been away from her for this length of time; or overnight at all for that matter. I know she was going to be in good hands but I was so sad and already missed her- and we hadn't even left yet. Since we weren't scheduled to check in until 3 we had the whole day to spend with her.

2:30 rolled around and Stella was already down for her nap. Rick packed up the car, clicked a few pictures and off we went. 3 hours until we were going to get to meet our baby. That car ride...I was a bag of emotions; I think my eyes welled up the entire drive there. I missed Stella like crazy, I was so sad that I was not going to be there when she woke up from her nap, I was nervous as hell for the surgery and just prayed everything would go perfect, I was praying for our baby to arrive and be healthy, I was hoping for a quick recovery. Seriously, the list was endless.




We arrived at the hospital and checked in. We were taken to our room where we sat and waited. Time began to pass and we hadn't done any paperwork or preparation yet. Finally over an hour later we began to get the ball rolling. I had put that glorious hospital gown on and filled out the paperwork- basically if they cut an organ they weren't responsible. 5:00 had rolled around, and my doctor had popped in to see that I wasn't near ready to be rolled down. The nurses began to hustle and bustle. That next hour was a complete blur. I had several nurses each doing something different just trying to get us down to the OR as soon as possible since the doctor was ready. The one nurse who was placing in the IV tried to find a vein in my hand. Well, the IV blew and holy shit was that painful. I had never experienced that before. After 2 tries, she finally got the IV in my forearm which was way more comfortable than my hand or wrist. Rick was given scrubs and instructions. Even having done this before, it still felt like a crazy roller coaster ride. Before we knew it, it was time. In just minutes we would be meeting our baby boy for the first time. I took off my wedding rings and my Mabel necklace. I told Rick how important it was for my necklace to be in the OR room with me so he held my jewelry in his pocket. We kissed and I was rolled out.

As I was rolled down to the OR the tears starting flowing. I think it was a mix of excitement that we finally were going to get to meet our little guy and feeling nervous for everything to go perfectly and for him be healthy. My doctor was really great and talked to me the entire time until Rick got into the OR. She knew what this day meant to me. Before Rick arrived, they sat me up on the OR table and gave me the spinal. I remember having a hard time relaxing for them to insert the medication. They laid me down, and lightly strapped down my arms. They actually began working down there before I heard them say 'call the husband'. As Rick walked in, I was so happy to see him. Things were going well. The anesthesiologist told Rick the head was about to come out and asked if he wanted to take a peek over the curtain. Rick took a 'quick' look and sat right back down.  I looked over at Rick and he was as white as his scrubs. I could tell right away he wasn't feeling good. He asked the anesthesiologist if he could go sit down on the floor in the corner. I knew this wasn't good.

The rest all happened in minutes...

The anesthesiologist and nurses were all helping get sugar into Rick as I was having a baby pushed out of my belly. I heard the doctor say "ok here he comes get the blankets ready..." The nurses came back to the table and prepared for the baby. I looked over at Rick and saw his eyes begin to shut as he was sliding down along the wall. I began crying his name out loud and asked them to get him because he was going to fall! My husband passed out in the OR. What felt like seconds, they helped him and before I knew it I heard that cry...that cry every mom waits to hear. Richard Lykes III was born at 6:24 p.m. And I heard my doctor say to me that he was a big baby like we had thought. They held him over the curtain for me too see him- this is where I ugly cried. I can't even explain what I was feeling that very moment. I was relieved that he was finally here, feeling blessed that he was healthy, and couldn't believe that I had a son. He was ours. They did all his measurements, wrapped him up and brought him over to me. I was in love- so deeply in love with this sweet boy. I stared at him, while I cried, and kissed his new sweet face. Little Ricky weighed in at 8 lbs 3 ounces, 22 inches long.

As they stitched me up I remember feeling intense pressure to the point I wasn't able to breathe. I looked at Rick, with tears pouring down my face telling him I couldn't breathe. They took him to the nursery, and Rick went with him as I laid on the bed and continued to get stitched up. I told him I would see him in the recovery room.

While laying in the recovery room I waited for Rick and little Ricky to come. I remember asking my doctor if the baby could join me in the recovery room because I didn't get to have that time with Stella since she was whisked away to the NICU for close watching since she needed help with her first breath. She told me it would be no problem. Rick and Ricky finally arrived and I was so happy to see them. I was in awe when they handed me our baby. I could of just stared at him forever in that very moment. I was over the moon happy to have this skin to skin time and to try nursing with him. He latched right away and began nursing. What a proud mommy moment. After some time Ricky had to have his vitals checked again and was going to have his first bath. Rick followed him to the nursery and watched him get bathed. It felt like a lifetime before I was able to head back to our room and have more time with Rick and our new baby.




I was so excited for Stella to meet her little brother the next morning. All I wanted was to hug her tight and kiss her face and tell her how much I missed her. Ricky continued to nurse like a champ the rest of that night. He ate about every 2 hours and latched like a pro. 

Morning came and I wanted to do my best to get up out of that bed and begin walking around to begin the healing process. I even more wanted to take a shower. The nurse helped me take a quick shower and it felt so good to put some of my own clothing on. I counted down the minutes until Stella would arrive. I thought it was so important to have the first meeting between Stella and her new baby be just us four. As she walked in, I teared up in excitement. One look and she was just in love as Rick and I were. After this first meeting, it was just a count down until we could all get home and just be a family. 






I asked my doctor to go home after two nights and he looked at me like I was crazy. That is how bad I wanted to get home. 




This recovery was much easier than my surgery with Stella. I made sure to get up out of bed as soon as I could and begin walking around. Each day when Stella came to visit we would walked laps around the maternity floor. The gas pains and my sore ass pain from laying in that damn bed were way worse than the incision pain. 

Stella's Nana (my mom) stayed with her at our house the first two nights and brought Stella to the hospital that afternoon where Rick took her home and stayed with her at home the third night. Watching Rick and Stella leave to go home without Ricky and I made me so sad. I cried as I heard them walk down the hallway. I knew the next morning when they came, they would be coming to get Ricky and I and we would be getting discharged and leaving all together. Sleep didn't happen for me that night. Between a crying baby and being away from my two loves- sleep was out of the question. 

It was finally discharge day and the nurses could tell I was anxious to get the hell out of the hospital and helped to move the process along quickly. We were discharged August 6th and went home all together. 

Best feeling in the world.

Our lives once again changed on August 3rd. A day that will go down in the books as one of the best days yet. 





 Welcome to this world Richard Harry Lykes III.
Our miracle was born on August 3rd, 2015.
Weighing 8 lbs. 3 oz, 22 inches long.

We love you more than words can ever write and you are the perfect addition to our family. 


No comments:

Post a Comment